Thursday, February 21, 2013

XCOM Game 1 Mission 5

After the last successful mission the team is ready to take on anything. Again there are alien abductions, and this time they are in Argentina, Australia, and Russia. We decide to send the team to Mendoza because of the high panic rating. The team consists of Squadmate Barcsay and Corporal Warner but we also have Corporal Came and Murphy to round out the team. This is the most experienced team to go into a mission.




A horde of aliens show up almost instantly.


And the team gets into position.


And Katherine gets the first kill!


But is then instantly killed by the other Sectoid! The Thin Men then poison Jonathan and hit Dan and Derm. Making Derm panic. Thankfully he does the right thing and hunkers down.




After the team doesn't hit a single alien, the Thin Men advance. First they kill Dan.


Then Derm is the next to go.


And then a lowly Sectoid takes out Jonathon.



Operation Shattered Stranger is a complete failure.


Without anyone stopping the abductions, multiple countries descend into chaos.





And that is the end of Game 1 because I lost the save game. But as you can see it was not a big loss. The next game is not nearly as much of a disaster.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that sucks. I had trouble on that map too. Got my men into position beside that L shaped barricade and then 5 floaters came out of no ware and surrounded my entire unit. Heavy losses in that one but I made it. I just can't keep snipers alive.

    Also i notice you can colour your armour. How do you do that? I can't find the option anywhere. Im using a combination of hair colour and race to help me easily identify my units. Eg all support are Caucasian with bright blue hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the armour colour is under the option "armor tint" when you customise a soldier. Yeah that mission went downhill so fast. I will post the first two missions from my second game tonight.

    I am learning so much playing Classic.

    You can't slip up for one second. Cover, line of sight and flanking are no longer just nice things to know about but are now essential. I still don't really understand flanking as well as I should.

    I have also found the bunching your team together is a bad idea. Spread them out more. Oh and snipers can be kept alive if they are in the back. Especially once they get Squadsight (which makes it possible for them to spot targets that are in allies line of sight and in range). Snipers are there to save your ass with that crucial shot, not win your war.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you playing classic Hardcore? You madman!

    ReplyDelete